Our 16SVT power unit and class 58 locmomotive are located at Peak Rail in Derbyshire.
Estimates suggest a figure of £750,000 which is half that of an equivalent new-build steam locomotive.
We are at the stage of collecting components. Planning and research has taken thousands of hours to date. Before all components are acquired it has been necessary to plan for a number of scenarios according to parts available.
Next stages include purchase and restoration of bogie frames, purchase or overhaul of traction motors, auction of 58022's cabs and disposal of unrequired parts from the 58.
Following the Society AGM held on Saturday 28th April 2018, we can now make the following statement regarding the future operation of 10000;
At this time, the position agreed by the society is that 10000 will not operate on the mainline.
Several reasons for this decision were discussed at the AGM, the key points being;
· To recreate 10000 will be a very costly exercise. To create a mainline standard locomotive will increase those costs very significantly.
· Our aim is to recreate 10000 as closely as possible to the original. Mainline operation would require a number of additional alterations to meet modern safety standards, which would detract significantly from that aim.
· The benefits of mainline operation do not justify the cost and alterations required. Other operators are already experiencing difficulties finding enough business for their locomotives, and we cannot expect to benefit from the type of interest raised by mainline steam operation.
· By the standards of todays railway, 10000 will not be a particularly powerful engine, with an engine rated at 1,600hp. It would not be practical, or in the interests of the locomotive, to operate the size of trains we would require to generate the necessary revenue.
· Maintenance costs for a mainline standard locomotive are significantly higher than for operation on heritage railways, and as stated above, mainline running is not expected to bring in high levels of revenue.
I realise that this statement will be a disappointment to some, but I hope you will understand the reasons given, and continue to support us as we recreate the legend that was, and will be, LMS 10000.
Chair, Ivatt Diesel Recreation Society